Tel-Aviv Shore

Immigration services to Israel, visa applications, and arranging residency and legal status in Israel:

  • We assist a wide range of clients from all parts of the business sector with the issuance of work visas to foreign experts in Israel.
  • Providing consultations and legal opinions regarding arranging a legal residency status in Israel.
  • Translation, notary and apostille services.
  • Applications for work visas and / or status in Israel through the Law of Return, including requests of accompanying dependents.
  • Applications for the granting / extension of a temporary A-5 temporary resident visa, including the replacement of an A-5 visa to permanent residency.
  • Applications for citizenship through various claims, including a step by step procedure for foreign spouses and receiving status in Israel on the basis of marriage / cohabitation.
  • Applications for business visas / tourist visas (B-2).
  • Applications for student visas (A-2) and visas for artists from abroad.
  • Registration of companies in Israel.
  • Providing legal advice to employers of foreign workers and asylum seekers in Israel in relation to legal employment in Israel under the Immigration Law.

The advantage of receiving immigration services to Israel through Dotan Cohen Law Offices:

Our attorneys are constantly working with various Interior Ministries throughout Israel and have excellent working relationships with government offices both in Israel and in Israeli consulates around the world. Their knowledge is based on extensive experience accumulated by our office and ensures efficiency, responsiveness and rapid problem solving. Our attorneys stay updated regarding legislation and procedures around the world.

Work Permit For Foreign Expert B-1

A company that wants to invite a foreign expert to work in Israel must submit an application for a B-1 work visa for a foreign expert.

The process of obtaining a B-1 visa for a foreign expert in Israel includes four separate stages:

  1. First, an application for a work permit for a foreign expert must be submitted to the Work Permit Unit in the Population, Immigration and Border Authority.
  2. Second, an application for an invitation for the foreign expert (after receipt of the permit from the relevant unit) at the relevant Ministry of the Interior office must be submitted. Upon approval of the request, the Interior Ministry sends an invitation to the foreign expert and his family to the Israeli consulate abroad.
  3. Third, a B-1 work visa will be issued for a period of one month at the Israeli consulate in the expert’s country of origin.
  4. Lastly, the one-month visa must be extended for a period of one year once the foreign expert and his family arrive at the airport in Israel, and a request for a multiple entry visa must be submitted at the Ministry of Interior for the foreign expert and his family.

The process of obtaining a 45-day work permit for a foreign worker:

  1. Our office usually provides the list of documents required to submit an application to our customers after signing the fee and power of attorney agreement.
  2. Submitting the application to the WPU (Work Permit Unit) This takes approximately 2-3 business days from the day we receive all of the documents.
  3. A decision on the case is given within 6 working days by the WPU.
  4. After issuing the work permit, the foreign employee needs to enter Israel through Ben Gurion Airport, according to the dates specified in the work permit. The foreign employee will be allowed to work immediately when he enters Israel, even without having the work visa stamped in his/her passport.
  5. Attending a non-scheduled meeting with the MOI (Ministry of Interior) no later than 2 business days after arrival to Israel, to issue the work visa and stamp it on the passport.

If the employee didn’t use the entire 45 days and needs to enter Israel again for work purposes on the same calendar year, then we may apply for a NEW work permit and start the process from step 1. The work permit that may be given will only be for the number of days left from the previous 45-day work visa, as this visa allows for ONLY 45 days of work in Israel during 1 calendar year.

Immigration to Israel under the Law of Return

The Western Wall, Jerusalem

Israel, despite being a liberal democratic country, is not an immigration country. Therefore, Israel does not have laws and regulations enabling foreigners who wish to come and settle Israel the opportunity to do so.

The laws relevant to entering and residing in Israel for different purposes are the Law of Entry to Israel -1952 and the Law of Return -1950. In addition, the Citizenship Law -1952 details possible options for becoming a citizen.

Based on the above laws, immigration to Israel is mainly possible per Aliyah process, a process available to “Zakaey Shvut”; persons eligible under The Law of Return with Jewish roots.

Clause 4A(a) of the Law of Return states as follows:

The rights of a Jew under this law, and the rights of an Oleh under the Citizenship Law -1952, and the rights of an Oleh under any other law, are given to the child or grandchild of a Jew, the spouse of a Jew the spouse of a child and grandchild of a Jew; Except a person who was born Jewish and out of his free will converted his religion.

According to the Law of Return the right to live and settle in Israel is given to eligible persons per the law and definition above. Eligible persons per the law of Return while considering settling in Israel may choose between several options one of which provides a B/1 Work Visa for several years, the second is a process which provides temporary residence while considering Aliyah, this process also makes them eligible for social rights such as Health Care. In addition, the eligible person may choose to make Aliyah, whether with the help of the Jewish Agency abroad or individually at the Ministry of Interior offices in Israel. The Aliyah process includes presenting personal documents and proof of Jewish roots. In general, most Jews and Zakaey Shvut are eligible to make Aliyah and to receive Israeli citizenship.

Naturalization in Israel, not through the Law of Return

Eligibility to becoming a citizen in Israel is determined per the Citizenship Law. The sections of the law specify who is an Israeli citizen, who is entitled to be an Israeli citizen, and how one may become a citizen. According to the law, Israeli citizenship is granted by law, to residents who were in Israel prior to the establishment of the State, and by virtue of birth (if the person does not hold other citizenship). Clause 5 of the Citizenship Law details the option of becoming a citizen for ineligible persons.  Persons seeking citizenship per clause 5 must meet the following:

  1. Residence in Israel for 3 out of the 5 years prior to the citizenship request under a permanent residence status.
  2. Knowledge of the Hebrew language.
  3. Willingness to waive other citizenship.

Clause 5 thereby limits the options of becoming a citizen since the Law of Entry to Israel, which determines the entry and stay of foreigners, details rare cases of eligibility for permanent residence. In fact, in most cases persons who are eligible for permanent residency are spouses and partners of Israeli citizens, or single elderly parents of Israeli citizens. At times, permanent residence is given for humanitarian reasons, yet it is rare.
In addition to the above, citizenship requests are under the discretion of the Minister of Interior, and such requests may also be declined. The Minister of Interior may also grant citizenship to persons who benefit the country such as athletes Righteous persons, and Humanitarians.

The above information is general. It should be noted that each application is examined on its merits. If you have additional questions about the process, please contact us and we will be happy to help.

Frequently Asked Questions on Immigration to Israel

In Israel there are several types of work visas, all marked as “B1”. The following are some of the options of companies interested in employing foreign workers in Israel: 

  1. Work visas for foreign experts for a period of 45 days; 
  2. Work visas for foreign experts for a period of one year (with the possibility of extension for a period of up to 5 years and 3 months); 
  3. Work visas for skilled workers for up to 3 months; 
  4. Work visas for employees (and their spouses) of hi-tech and cyber companies; 
  5. Work visas in hi-tech and cyber companies for graduates of academic studies in the fields of science and computer science; 
  6. Work visas for Jews; 
  7. Work visas for spouses of Israeli citizens or residents;

There is no obligation to establish / register an Israeli company. A foreign worker can also be employed through a company registered abroad only. 

Yes, the State of Israel recognizes same-sex relationships (De-facto relationship / common-law marriage) and allows them to live together in Israel. 

Yes, after a process that will last about 4.5 years, your spouse can change their status in Israel from a permanent resident to an Israeli citizen. 

FAQ About Work Visas For Experts

Yes, they will suffice, but since these are not university certificates, the WPU may doubt this employee’s expertise and require a deposit to guarantee his fulfilling the visa conditions.

Yes. sometimes the Ministry of Interior wants to make sure the employee’s spouse is not in Israel illegally. You will need to prove the spouse’s name and date of birth and a photocopy of the passport.

For occupation you should write the job he will be performing in Israel, which should be the same job/title described in the work permit application – for example: Site Manager.

If we have all the documents needed for Step 2 ready when we receive the approval for Step 1, it will take us a couple of days in order to attend the Ministry of interior and ask to send an invitation to enter Israel with a work visa Through the Israeli consulate at the residence of the expert.

After the Ministry of Interior sends the invitation to the Israeli embassy in the desired country the expert employee will need to schedule an appointment at the Israeli embassy. This depends mostly on the embassy’s schedule. Please note that the invitation the MOI sends is valid for 3 months.

Conact Us

Free initial consultation

Or continue to our eligibility questionnaire